Thursday, August 20, 2009

Porchetta: A Love Story

I had to go to Tribeca to get some stuff done for my visa and since its my mom's bday tomorrow she drove me down and we had lunch upon biometrics completion. I picked a spot called Locanda Verde which was real close to the visa office and had also popped up several times on serious eats. Started off with some crispy artichokes with mint and a crostino with chicken liver pate. My mom ordered the scallops which were real solid but those dishes were almost irrelevant to the ensuing pork bliss about to rock my socks.

My most beloved preparation of pig is porchetta. No doubt about it, the sliced porchetta sandwich was my choice. The sandwich, which I think has changed since serious eats reviewed the place, is on a toasted rosemary brioche with all sorts of sauteed goodness (peppers, onions, olives etc). The meat was so tender amidst its corpulent frame it brought a tear to my eye. It was riddled with heavily herbed fat that ultimately negated the addition for cheese. Salty, succulent, perfect. With porchetta, love happens.

- DG

No comments:

Post a Comment