Sunday, August 9, 2009

El Jardin

Greetings. Washington DC was once a swamp. It now supports 600,000 folks and 15 millions pairs of khaki pants, Oxfords, and closely cropped gelled hair. Add to this:
1 cherry tomato plant
1 sweet pepper plant
2 jalapeƱo plants
2 varieties of thai hot chiles
3 cucumber plants
basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, sweet marjoram, lavender, and parsley
...and the produce/yuppie combinations become almost unfathomable.

Planting a small garden has been a dream of mine since my days living in Providence two years ago. With the help of my friend over at Fermentation Farm, I finally realized my destiny. I don't expect an overwhelming yield from this small menagerie of plants but was nonetheless happy to install it in a previously underutilized plot in front of my new house.
After weeding the plot and turning the soil, I lovingly transplanted these heat weary plants into the soil and waited to the cool evening hours to water them in, cementing, at least temporarily, their position in front of my humble domicile.
My hope is that the hot, long, muggy summer, will allow my small garden to yield many a fragrant meal. Towards the end of this languid summer, it is my hope that the cucumber plants you see creeping towards the white fence will produce enough fodder for a post on pickling.
-poopusa

No comments:

Post a Comment