Friday, November 6, 2009

Squash Ravioli with Mushrooms

I love squash ravioli, I love mushrooms and I love them together.  So I made squash ravioli with mushrooms.

For the ravioli, I roasted and pureed a butternut squash, then heated it in a pan and seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg, parmesan and some powdered, dried aspen bolete.  It was pretty hard to powder the mushroom, so there wasn't much in there. This mixture was stuffed into freshly made pasta dough, as you can see below.


I made the pasta dough in the standard way, with just egg and flour.  The ratio of egg to flour will vary depending on the flour you use and the size of the egg, but it should be about 3/4 cup of flour for each egg.  I think I used 4 eggs, which made enough ravioli for 5-6 portions.

To make the pasta, form the flour in the shape of a well on your work surface and break the eggs inside.  beat the eggs with fork or fingers and gradually incorporate the surrounding flour.  Once everything is incorporated, knead for a few minutes.  Either throw the dough in the fridge at this point, or, if you're ready, roll it into sheets.

Next time I do this, I'd like to use the little ravioli cutting wheel that makes jagged edges.  This time, I just cut the dough into squares, stuffed these with squash and sealed them, as you can see.

For the mushroom cream sauce, I stewed a leek in butter, then added chopped button mushrooms and a mixture of imported porcini mushrooms and their close relative from New Mexico, Boletus Barrowsii.  You can see them reconstituting in water above.  Season these in the pan with salt and pepper.  Once the mushrooms started browning, I added the reserved liquid from the dry mushroom soak and simmered it off.  I let them cook a little more, then added some cream and white wine to form the sauce.

Here's the finished product, with some more parmesan and pepper.  Delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment