Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Omelet to the dome

Thanks to bro jargon, we now have a nifty subtitle for this here blog. The gastronomique tourism I have enjoyed in this District of Columbia has been duly recorded by a one DG. It included copious crustaceans and what later proved to be vindictive Vietnamese food, enjoyed in the quaint confines of the Eden Center. This gustatory pleasure palace, located in Falls Church, Virginia, is the strip mall epicenter of all things South East Asian: banh mi, pho, sriracha, bubble tea, incoherent waiters. While I do not believe any pictures were snapped on that fine Friday eve, plates of rare beef salad, Hanoi-style bbq pork served in rendered pork fat (which was quickly devoured with rice), and a spicy chicken dish sated all appetites.

My recent culinary endeavors, however, have been rather pedestrian. Because I'm cooking for one, I usually cook only twice a week. That added to my relative cheapness and desire for culinary simplicity have tempered my appetite for the haute cuisine being practiced in the roaring confines of the Boletus King's kitchen.

Nevertheless, I recently concocted a tortilla espanola that served as a quick meal and an interesting culinary exploration. While I do not believe I achieved the heights of egg-potato-onion perfection achieved regularly by my host family in Madrid, this omelet-quiche hybrid tickled me enough to post about it.

Process was simple, requiring about 1/2 cup of heated olive oil, 2 medium sized yellow-skinned potatoes (these fry better than your average baking potato), and a large onion. Once the oil was appropriately warm, I tossed the above into the fat bath to fry. Unfortunately, I neglected to sufficiently salt the mixture. Salt is king in the game of eggs-potato-onions. Do not forget this. When the two began to brown, I poured off the excess oil and added seven well-beaten eggs to the mix over medium high heat.

Usually I would woe the waste of such oil, but today I was prepared. Using some leftover parsley, a bit of basil, and some garden chilies, I created a quick chimichurri for dipping delight.




That finished, I turned my attention back to the eggs, which by now had set firmly. I flipped the tortilla onto a waiting plate and slid it back into the pan to finish off. The end result was quite good, easy to make, and dirt cheap. Nice. Also, you will note that this dish is as good, if not better cold. So throw it in the fridge and hit it for leftover on the reg, ya heard?




This dish really spurred my new found interest in eggs. Cooked right, eggs are remarkable. Cooked wrong, they become insipid diner food fit only for 4am drunken binges. Respect the egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment