Monday, January 4, 2010

SEE FOOD




The thing with eating is that it takes time. The most recent of my gastronomique tourisms brought YHN to Phuket, Thailand. A land more famed for its banana hammocks than banana flambes, I was nevertheless devoted to finding that special taste of Thailand that is not from a hooker's mouth. But I digress.

Plated before me is Phuket Fried Rice and a tiger prawn the size of Mike Ditka's finger. The Phuket Fried Rice should be renamed Phuket Fried Bullshit, because this was the single most over-black-peppered under-proper-spiced dish I've had. To save face I told my dining companion that I was taking the second half of the dish on my Tiger Airways flight the following day, but in reality I found the styrofoam box and its pFrice contents to be of a supremely puntable quality.

But what allowed me to declare myself fed enough to go for take-away, that shamestful of shameable shames?

TIGER PRAWN, the less philandering brother of tiger woods. Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair

BBQ'd


Flayed and arrayed in garlic and pepper


My [tigerprawn] is a fish

In truth, not the best meal I had.

Indeed, I found in Thailand that food goodness is inversely proportional to food cost. For instance, the best food I ate in Thailand was outside a Bangkok skytrain station. Following the time honored tradition of getting in line at a stall if lots of other people are, I found myself with a plastic bagful of the tastiest/spiciest papaya salad this side of the Mekong. I would have taken a photo of it had I not used up the last of my camera battery taking a photo of this dude's rattail. I guess we all make choices.


Enough bandwidth for now. Endeavour!
JK
 

1 comment: