Sunday, October 25, 2009

Coprinus

Today was a beautiful day in Chicago.  I wanted to get out of the city and do some foraging while the weather allowed, but there was business to attend to.

Just as I began to despair, I spotted a cluster of mushrooms next to a tree on the sidewalk.  Their size and my excitement led me to misidentify them as shaggy manes, which they unfortunately were not.



If I had realized that other Coprinus species could be this big and cylindrical, I would have taken more note of the lack of shagginess and beige-y color.  Here is the genuine article:
 
Although disappointed that I hadn't spotted the shaggy manes I've been watching for for the last few weeks, I made the most of these guys, preparing them the same way that is often recommended for their more highly prized cousin.  Breaded and pan-fried in olive oil.

The mushrooms had a pretty subtle flavor, and although the texture, particularly for the mushrooms that hadn't begun to deliquesce (the ones with closed caps and pure white gills), was very nice, the bread crumbs were a little overwhelming.  A few of these were just dusted with flour before frying which allowed a little more of the mushroom flavor through.  Overall, a nice little snack.  I'll be checking the spot in the next couple days for further fruiting.

King Boletus

No comments:

Post a Comment