Friday, October 8, 2010

Urban Ornithology

OK, I need some help here.

While biking home from work yesterday, I noticed some green birds hopping around in a couple trees eating hard, orange-red berries.  I have never seen anything like them in the US - before I noticed that there were 5-6 of them, I thought the first might be a petstore fugitive.
This is a pretty poor quality cellphone picture, but hopefully you can get a sense of what they look like.  They have a strong, curved beak and were all green, with no distinctive markings to speak of.

As I said, there were a number of birds in these two trees, and they were going at the berries pretty enthusiastically.  Naturally, they were making some clacking noise, etc.  But while I was trying to get some pictures of them I kept hearing a louder, sort of gobbly racket coming from the ground on the other side of the fence.  (This was on the perimeter of a hospital parking lot).

I figured it was just a few of the green birds doing their thing on the ground, but when I went around to get a better position to photograph them, lo and behold, there was a turkey-like bird hopping around.  He wasn't too flighty, although he did retreat from my advance when I got closer than eight feet or so.
 


 
Unfortunately, the pictures aren't great, but you can see what he looks like.

Who has an idea of what these birds are? 

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty clear that the second bird is a wild turkey, judging by your pictures and the description of the sounds it was making. BUT the green birds are most likely feral parrots, probably escaped from petstores/owners, like you said. Look at brooklynparrots.com - a site about the many flocks of feral parrots that inhabit my humble borough. - Donny

    ReplyDelete