Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pork Schnitzel with Chanterelle Mushrooms

Long-delayed post of what I did with most of the chanterelles I found over a month ago.  I pickled the rest with sherry vinegar, shallots, mustard and olive oil, but there weren't very many left.  I threw some of the pickled ones in with some other sauteed mushrooms though, a couple weeks ago, and despite their small quantity, their flavor came through nicely.

Anyway, for the bulk of them, I followed this recipe, with shallots substituted for onion and a little less bacon.  Everything tasted good, but I thought the mushroom element was a bit muddy and not my preferred use of chanterelles, which already have a lot going on in terms of flavor.  I was pretty excited to see how the bacon, mustard and capers would play into those flavors, but it didn't do that much for me in the end.  It's just kind of hard to compete with bacon and cream I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment