Friday, June 18, 2010

City Shrooms

All of these mushrooms were harvested within half a mile of my home.

The first bunch of inky caps was growing in the grassy area around a tree on the sidewalk.  The picture doesn't quite capture it, but the fatter ones were really quite large.

After cleaning them, I cut them in halves and quarters depending on their size.  I then sauteed them in olive oil with coarsely chopped garlic.  They released a lot of juice, most of which I poured off.  I then added some peeled San Marzano tomatoes, capers and the reserved mushroom liquid.  Tasty little sauce.



The next bunch were also inky caps, but smaller, whiter and a little more firm.  The picture below of the last handful shows how dirty they were.  They were growing under and around a bush and I harvested them after a rain so it was a bit muddy.

All cleaned up.
Cooked them up with butter, some sliced onion and chopped garlic.  When they were pretty well cooked, I added cream and a good amount of gorgonzola, then when everything was melted in, tossed with spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment